Our Location (Click for Map & Directions):

161 West Harrison Street, Ground Floor (C-102), Chicago, Illinois 60605 (312-704-8000) Free Consultations with our attorneys on the First Saturday of each month
from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Non-Immigrant Visas: J-1 Visas – Exchange Visitors

Non-Immigrant Visas: J-1 Visas – Exchange Visitors

An Exchange Visitors visa is issued to any person that is coming to the U.S. as a student, trainee, professor, research assistants, medical graduated, or international visitor who is participating in a program or cultural enrichment specifically designed by the U.S. Department of State. This visa allows you to study, teach, do research, or participate in cultural activities in the U.S. as part of any program specially approved by the Department of State. There are no quota restrictions and the Certificated of Eligibility is usually issued for the period of time needed to complete the particular exchange visitor program, for which your J-1 visa is been approved.

Exchange visitor visas are meant to be temporary, and at the time of applying you must show evidence that you are leaving behind possessions, property, and family members as incentive for your eventual return. You must have enough money to cover your expenses while you are in the U.S. as an exchange visitor, and must be able to speak, read, and write English well enough. In addition to all qualifications, you must be accepted into a program before you can apply for the visa. There are over 1,500 Department of State’s-approved programs in existence. The following people are eligible to apply for an exchange visitor:

  • students
  • professors, research scholars, and people with specialized skills
  • International visitors
  • foreign medical graduated students
  • other medical related programs
  • business and industrial trainee
  • employees of international agencies
  • research assistants
  • au pairs
  • camp counselors
  • summer work travel, and
  • short-term scholars

All of them with different length of time duration, and different qualifications.

It should be noted that in some instances, Adjustment of Status from J-1 visa will not be possible unless the visa was issued waiving a 2-year requirement that you leave the U.S. after the expiration of the visa in order to be allowed to return.