Our Location (Click for Map & Directions):

161 West Harrison Street, Ground Floor (C-102), Chicago, Illinois 60605 (312-704-8000) Free Consultations with our attorneys on the First Saturday of each month
from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

My criminal defense lawyer is recommending that I plead guilty to Possession of a Controlled Substance

If your lawyer believes you have no other options, then accepting a plea of guilty to this offense may have serious immigration consequences, or it may not. If you are a legal permanent resident for at least 7 years (some exceptions apply) without getting into any serious trouble during that 7 years, you are generally going to eligible to ask for forgiveness (otherwise known as a “waiver”). But if you were never a legal permanent resident or committed the possession offense or other serious crime within your first 7 years of entering the United States (legally, that is), you cannot plea guilty to this offense without barring you from any immigration benefit whatsoever for at least 20 years. Therefore you must be careful and I recommend that you contact us or another reputable immigration attorney for advice.